Haynes Manuals Home

Thread: 2004 Crf 250x (NO SPARK)

Default 2004 Crf 250x (NO SPARK)

I have a 2004 crf 250x with no spark.
    i have replaced the cdi box, the stator, the ignition boot, and have check the kill switch and still have no spark please help with ideas!!!

Hi Brandon,

Wow - you pretty much have a new ignition system, so there's not much to say. Make sure all electrical connectors are clean and plugged in securely. Also, and this is kind of a remote possibility, but you might want to check and see if your alternator rotor (flywheel) is still magnetized. You didn't hit it with a hammer, did you? (That can de-magnetize it, in which case the stator can't do its job.)
    When you checked the kill switch did you use an ohmmeter to make sure it's normally open, and closes when the button is pressed?

When you finally figure out what's causing this problem, let us know. I have a 250X (2006) - I really like that bike and haven't had any trouble with it yet, but I'm curious as to what you find.

I just want to add something related to a no-start condition in general - something that all riders should keep in mind. Once my bike wouldn't fire up. I had spark and a full tank of fuel, and the bike ran great the last time out, so I know the compression was fine. Threw in a new plug, still nothing. After getting winded kicking that bike over and and over, I put a pan under the bike, opened the float bowl drain screw and let a little fuel flow into the pan. I took the pan out to the street and tried to light it with a lighter - nothing! The fuel had gone bad after 4 months of non-use. While that's kind of soon, but not unheard of (and yes, it's a four-stroke, not a two-stroke), the fuel in my son's bike was the same age, from the same fuel can, and it fired right up! Just a reminder, never overlook the simple stuff.