Haynes Manuals Home

Thread: 2005 cambry P0500 fault code

Default 2005 cambry P0500 fault code

My 2005 Cambry check engine light is on. I have fault code P0500. Car is running great. Actual speed is 4mph slower than showing on speedometer. The Haynes manual isn't too clear in this area. You show speed sensors mounted in top of transaxle. Message board on "BOB THE OIL GUY" web site says speed sensors I'm looking for are not transaxle mounted but are one of the sensors associated with ABS & are located where they pick up the actual wheel rotation. Your elect. prints don't show any speed sensors at all on the 6Cyl., ABS or otherwise. I have disconnected the transaxle mounted sensors one at a time & the symptom I get is the engine will start okay but only runs for aprox. 3 sec. & shuts off.THANKS, Joe Johns

Hi Joe,

P0500 deals with the transmission-mounted VSS and its circuit.

Thanks for the info. I removed both sensors from xmission. The one mounted toward the front had a tiny piece of what looked like gasket materal stuck to it. I cleaned it & blew air into the mounting hole in xmission. Fault is gone & so far so good.

Joe - Awesome!! I hope that was the cause of the code. Anyway, great job. Gotta love a cheap fix!