Haynes Manuals Home

Thread: 2001-JEEP-Grand-Cherokee-Laredo-4X4-4-0-L

Default 2001-JEEP-Grand-Cherokee-Laredo-4X4-4-0-L

Hello once agin I have some questions. The issue I am having seems to be the engine cuts off/out goes from 2000 rpm to 1000 rpm at speeds of 60-70 mph. If I step on the accelerator pedel the engine fires back up with out skipping a beat! Runs great! No Check engine light comes on. So I guess I would like to know what does not turn on the check engine light that might be causing my issue? I am thiking fuel like fuel filter or a throttel sensor ( but would the throttle sensor turn on the check engine light?). Any Ideas from yo folks.

Thanks in advance.
    Wise Guy

Hello Wise Guy,

It's beginning to sound like you have an intermittent electrical problem. These kinds of problems are very hard to diagnose -even for professionals... There is a good chance that the problem will reveal itself more frequently as you continue to drive the vehicle. If there are no Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs) stored in the ECU now, there may be later on. You could have a professional confirm your concern and start the inpection process, but diagnosing your condition may be difficult, drawn out and ultimately expensive before the root cause has been determined and the problem repaired. On the other hand, someone with a great deal of experience may know right where to look. One other suggestion: look for Jeep enthusiast forums on the internet to see if other Jeep owners with your specific year and model have had your experience. A solution may exist there or at least some ideas on what causes may exist for your particular model.

Best regards,
    Admin

Well I think I got it Fixed! I was talking with a friend of mine who also has the same year Grand Cheroke as mine. He had an issue that seemed just like mine and he advised me to check the Camshaft position sensor which is on top of the oil pump. It is one of two sensors that will not turn on the check engine light! Any way I purchased a new camshaft position sensor from the autoparts store and then tried to unsucessfully to unplug the wiring harness. I also noticed that the old one had some sort of moisture inside the sensor area. After I could not un hook the sensor I cleaned out the old sensor with a cotton swab and paper towel then put it back on. Guess what? It started and I have driven just shy of 100 miles without the problem reaccurring. So I took the $70.00 part back for return and I am happy so far. thought I would update you and may help some one else out that might have this problem.

Wise Guy