Haynes Manuals Home

Thread: Maxda 323 (Cndn) 1.8L starts then stops

Default Maxda 323 (Cndn) 1.8L starts then stops

I have the manual 61015, troubleshooting motor shutdown, fuel section. It's being made difficult because 2 pix on pg. 4.3 are missing arrows (press reg and EFI main relay). As for symptoms, the motor will run perfectly for between 30 and 90 seconds (depending on how long it sits between starts) and the fuel pump is working. Filter and pump strainer have been replaced and there's good fuel flow into and out of the injector rail. Just before dying the RPM decreases slightly, then it sputters and quits. No engine codes.

Hello Jim A,

How about a completely cold start (say, overnight) -how long will it run then before stalling? What year is your vehicle? We suggest testing for spark and fuel pressure when the condition occurs. This may give you some more information to work with.

Quote Originally Posted by admin View Post
    Hello Jim A,

How about a completely cold start (say, overnight) -how long will it run then before stalling? What year is your vehicle? We suggest testing for spark and fuel pressure when the condition occurs. This may give you some more information to work with.
    It did run longer this morning, about 5 mins. It's a '90 w 200K mi. I got a check engine light for about 30 seconds at the 4 min mark w no change in sound. Oil is now leaking onto the exhaust manifold from the valve cover, so it's smoking.

Hello Jim A,

It seems there is an engine management issue. Now that you have had an "Check Engine" light, retrieving the resulting codes should be be a good place to start. If a code doesn't exist, then recreate the conditions and try obtain it when the check engine light comes on again (it most likely will). Take a look at Chapter 6. For fuel and ignition issues, take a look at Chapters 4 and 5.

I found the problem. It was water in the distributor connector on top. The engine code was for O2 sensor and I'll be keeping an eye on that. For now it's running good. Thank you for your help!

Hello Jim A,

We're glad your running again. Since a Nicoderm patch won't keep you car from smoking, you might want to look into a valve cover gasket...