Haynes Manuals Home
Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: How to find out which transfer case i have

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2012

    Default How to find out which transfer case i have

    Hello, I have a 2008 GMC serria 1500. IN my haynes manual it talks about differnt transfer cases aand diffent oils they need. How do i find out which one i have and which oil to use? Thank you

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2007


    Hi rdistrict2,

    Most transfer cases have a metal tag affixed to the front or rear side of the case. However, if yours doesn't, look for a series of letter/numbers somewhere on the case. If it's a New Venture Gear (NVG) case, manual shift, it takes manual transmission fluid. If its a NVG but not manual shift (full-time), it takes Auto trac II fluid. If it's anything other than a NVG case it takes DEXRON VI.

    I hope this helps. If you still have trouble determining what kind of transfer case you have, give one of our tech service reps a call at 1-800-442-9637.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts