Haynes Manuals Home

Thread: 2003 Dodge Grand Caravan

Default 2003 Dodge Grand Caravan

I have a few questions: (Hearing clunks at low speed from the front end)

1: Where should jack stands be placed to lift the front end? (Manual states jack locations but does not mention where jack stands should be placed.)

2. To check the sway bar links for wear does the front end need to be off the ground or can the sway bar link be checked by lifting one wheel at a time?

3. Can the sway bar bushings be replaced with the vehicle on ramps or does the front end need raised and supported by jack stands?

Thanks in Advance!!!

My Grandpa had the same problem turned out to be a tie rod end on the drivers side.

Hi unlucky58,

To check the stabilizer bar links, or to replace the bushings, it is recommended that the front end be raised and the wheels removed - it'll be much easier that way.

The jackstands can be placed under the unibody frame rails, which are the structural members inboard of the jacking points. If you look in Chapter 10 of your manual, illustration 5.5, you'll see a vehicle hoist arm at the top center of the photo (it's supporting the left front of the van at the jacking point). If you look just to the right, you'll see a black cable in the photo - it is running alongside of the structural member I'm talking about.

Thanks for the information. I'll look and see if I can locate the source of the clunk. The sway bar bushings don't visually look bad ( no obvious worn spots but they are original and the van has 87,000 miles) and the sway bar links don't have any play. I haven't looked at the tie rod end yet.

It was the sway bar bushings. The side of the bushings that face the center of the vehicle looked fine but the side that faces the outside of the vehicle were both egg shaped (at least once I got them off). I put the vehicle up on ramps and had my wife bounce it by opening the passenger side door and pushing on the upper door frame. It was pretty easy to find the source of the clunk then.