Haynes Manuals Home

Thread: 1991 toyota camry ball joint stuck

Unhappy 1991 toyota camry ball joint stuck

I am a disabled vet and have a 91 camry 4 cyl front wheel drive
    The problem I have is the book shows a 2 jaw puller for the ball joint I got a snap on and broke 2 trying to get it off I even tried a pickle fork no luck
    I had to use a nut and bolt to hold it to the sterring assy as 1 of the bolts stripped out the hole.it seems to hold and not hit anything . I need to know how to remove it when later next year I replace the assy.

So I hope the temp repair is ok
    I and need to know how to remove the ball joint .

Thanks I work on the car from a wheel chair but can lay down to repair if necessary

Hi ncr,

Tapered balljoints can sometimes be really difficult to remove, as you have found out. Sometimes rapping on the control arm in the vicinity of the balljoint with a big hammer can loosen the bond (and sometimes even cause it to come free). You'll note in illustration 5.4 that the nut has been loosened a few turns, but not removed. This will prevent the components from separating violently, which can happen (especially if the shaft is really stuck in there).

Since the hole in the steering knuckle is stripped, you really should replace the knuckle - don't try to repair it by welding the hole and drilling/re-tapping it, or by using a thread insert (also use new bolts of the proper part number from Toyota). If the balljoint doesn't have play in it, you really don't have to replace it until it wears out. Just unbolt it from the knuckle when the time comes to replace the knuckle. But, if the balljoint is worn out, too, then yes, you'll have to deal with it.

Good luck with that. These things are tough enough as it is; the fact you're in a chair sure isn't making it easier! My hat's off to you! Let us know how it goes.

So far I have tried every thing in the Haynes book up to the leaving it unscrewed and beating it with a hammer I do not have the special tool the book show . So far I am leaving it with the bolt and nut and it is holding up. I am looking to see if I can borrow that special tool.I replaced the driver side cv axle and then the hole stripped out so I put a nut and bolt on it . I also have not found a ball joint with a grease fitting on it.