Haynes Manuals Home

Thread: Winshield Wiper Linkage (99 Prizm)

Hybrid View

Default Winshield Wiper Linkage (99 Prizm)

Windshield wiper motor replacement is discussed in Chapter 12 of Manual #92036. In my case, the motor works, and the crank arm of the motor turns when the switch is on. But the motor arm is supposed to be attached to a socket in the linkage, and that socket is disintegrated, such that it won't hold the arm. So the motor turns but the wipers don't move.

The linkage is behind the firewall, but it looks to me that it could be accessed from the top, as there's a panel around the wiper arms that looks like it could come out. But in order to do this I would need to remove the wiper arms, and there's no instruction about this either.

So basically, I need instructions in replacing the windshield wiper linkage.

Thanks.

Go to Chapter 11, Section 28, and remove wiper arms and the cowl louver (the arms are attached by nuts under plastic covers) and the windshield wiper motor (Chapter 12, as you know). Once that's done, remove the three nuts around each wiper arm spindle, then guide the linkage assembly out from the opening on the left (driver's) side of the cowl chamber.

I hope this helps.