Haynes Manuals Home

Thread: How is the lower timing belt coverd removed from a jeep liberty 2002?

Post How is the lower timing belt coverd removed from a jeep liberty 2002?

Timing belt broke on my 2002 Jeep Liberty. have removed the upper timing belt cover bolts pullies as recommended by the Haynes manual but the cover still seems to be held in place by other bolts not specifically mentioned in the manual. What else do i need to remove in order to get the lower timing belt cover out of the way???

Hello frustrated2011,

Review Step 9 on page 2A-5. Unfortunately, when the timing belt broke, engine damage likely occurred. A compression test on all cylinders is recommended.

I have already followed page 2A-5 Step 9 and removed the drive belt and all teh pullies it goes on. I have also removed the bolts at the front of the lower timing belt cover and it is still not coming off....what other parts or bolts must i remove in order to get this cover off? I have floowed the instructions on page 2A- steps 1 thru 10 but the cover is not coming off. What else must be removed or where are there other bolts NOT identified in the Haynes Repair manual for the Jeep liberty 2002?

Hello frustrated2011,

Did you remove the pulley assembly (pictured below -arrow)?
    Attached Images Attached Images

I have removed all the pulleys pictured along with the the front retaining bolts. The only thing i still have not removed is the power steering pump and that i dont want to remove unless i really need to. Aside from the power steering pump, are there any retaining bolts on the sides of the front timing cover that need to be removed? If so where are they located?

The Jeep factory service manual doesn't indicate the need to remove the power steering pump. Unfortunately, they don't have an illustration showing bolt locations. Typically they're secured by bolts around the perimeter of the cover only, but I have encountered some timing bolt covers with a bolt or two recessed in the center of the cover (I'm not saying that's necessarily the case here).

Sorry I can't be of more help.

Thank You for the help you did provide.