Haynes Manuals Home

Thread: Any good chemical u recommend to remove RTV sealant (FIPG)?

Default Any good chemical u recommend to remove RTV sealant (FIPG)?

hello to all haynes techs, yes its me again (LOL) and I have (wait for it...) another question!! i have manual 92036 and i was wondering if u guys can recommend a specific chemical that is strong enough to remove RTV sealant. as u know it forms a thick rubber material which can be hard to get off without excessive scraping. i have a plastic scaper but was looking for something less time consuming thats safe on metal. im doing my valve cover gasket on my 95 corolla soon. what can u recommend to me? would acetone or laquer thinner work? any advice is helpful guys

Hello Grendal,

Good question. While many folks have used chemicals of all sorts, we generally recommend scraping and brake cleaner. What you need to keep in mind is that metal surfaces are more vulnerable to damage than most folks realize so you need to keep the mating surfaces in mind. On the otherhand, some folks have had success with various chemicals. We suggest some online research for some options. Ammonia and ethyl lactate have both been mentioned during our initial research.

I've personally had good experiences with using brake cleaner and an industrial strength scotch brite pad when cleaning gasket mating surfaces. However, I do not know how well it will work on RTV sealant, just thought it might be a good suggestion Grendal.

thanks for all the suggestions guys. i'll keep the brake cleaner idea in mind Cowboy. i'll be doing this in about 2 weeks so i'll repost my experience with replacing my valve cover gasket.

Ok buddy, I would be interested in hearing how everything goes for you. Just take your time and take plenty of breaks and everything should go well for you. Like I say I don't know how well the industrial strengh Scotch Brite pad will work on RTV sealant seeing how it is such a strong sealant. It worked wonders for me when I replaced the oil pan gasket on my Ford F150 but it didn't have any RTV sealant on it.

OK guys, i managed to replace my valve cover gasket today with no problems. here are a couple of tools that helped me out ALOT: i went to my art store and bought a very thin flexible plastic putty knife and a small bottle of mineral spirits. i then carefully slipped the knife under one of the corners of the valve cover, right at the end. make sure u get UNDER the gasket or else u will jus tbe pushing the gasket into the cylinder head. i got it under then i slid it all the way to the end and bumped it with a wood block and hammer. it came off ok, the other side was a little stuck but i ran the knife along the edge and it quickly broke the seal. i soaked the valve cover in engine degreaser and now it looks shiny!!! i cleaned the mating surfaces with mineral spirits and brake cleaner then put RTV on the corners as per the haynes manual stated. take your time prying off the cover and get the putty knife, it really helps. thanks to the haynes techs and to Cowboy for their input. u guys saved me $100 in labor!!!!

Hello Grendal,

We're very glad to hear of your success!