Haynes Manuals Home

Thread: '93 Ford F150 makes a bumping noise

Default '93 Ford F150 makes a bumping noise

Hello Administrator it's me again. For some time now my '93 Ford F150 has been making a bumping noise when I take off from a dead stop, I also hear it at times when going over bumps. On take off it only seems to do it a time or two. Any ideas on what the problem may be? Any thoughts will be greatly appreciated, will be awaiting your reply.

Sincerely,
    Cowboy

Hello Cowboy,

Suspension or driveline noises -check the front of the manual for some suggestions. A worn motor mount is also suspect or something could be loose... A thorough visual inspection underneath is a good place to start.

Thanks for your reply administrator. I've thought about the possibility of a worn motor mount. One thing I've done is put my left foot on the brake and put the transmission into drive and press the accelerator with my right foot, I could still hear the noise then which has caused me to suspect the motor mounts. How do I visually inspect the motor mounts? What am I looking for?

Cowboy

Hello cowboy,

Refer to Section 16 in Chapter 2A (although your engine may differ than the one in this chapter, the information on the motor mount "check" is applicable). This is a good place to start.

Yeah I looked in my manual last night after posting the previous reply and found the section on checking and replacing motor mounts. I definitely think the motor mounts are one thing to check. A friend of mine suggested checking the mounts on the transmission crossmember as well. I'm also thinking the motor mounts may just be loose from when I replaced the oil pan gasket a few weeks ago so I'll also check the motor mount nuts as well. Well anyway it looks like I've got another weekend project ahead of me this weekend.