Haynes Manuals Home

Thread: Antenna Cable (2000 Prizm)

Default Antenna Cable (2000 Prizm)

My radio reception suddenly went bad, and I suspect the antenna cable. I pulled out the radio and while I don't see any breaks in the cable, the sheath that surrounds the inner portion of the cable is broken just before the plug, and the inner wire is hanging by a single thread. So I'm guessing this is it.

Question is how one replaces the cable. I looked in the trunk and the antenna seems to be shielded from the trunk by some sheet metal. There are holes in the sheet metal, but it doesn't look like enough to access the antenna. In addition, I don't know what path the cable takes from the antenna to the radio.

Alternatively, if there was a way of fixing/splicing the wires, that might be easier, but my impression is that splicing coaxial cable is extremely difficult.

Manual #92036, Chapter 12, Section 14.

Hello Fotheringay-Phipps,

Repairing the antenna cable is easier than one might think and definitely easier than rerouting the cable between the antenna and the radio unit in most cases. You might find some helpful information at a car electronics shop and/or installer. You may also find coaxial fittings at an electronic supply store. And with the correct fittings and repair, it will work just as well.

Apparently it can be done, but it's not so simple.

I went to Radio Shack and for $3.19 they gave me a jack that's meant for attaching to coaxial wire. But when I took out the radio it didn't match what I needed. Apparently they gave me a Motorola jack, and I needed a GM jack. RS doesn't sell anything other than Motorola jacks. They sent me to Best Buy who didn't sell anything of the sort, and who expressed some doubt as to whether anyone else does either. (The guy in the service department who interrupted working on a car to talk to me said he would install a new cable if the job was given to him, and the only other thing he could think of was trying to solder the wires together.)

But on a whim, I stopped in at Wal-Mart on the way home, and they had an antenna converter for $8.44 - this consists of a Motorola intake and jacks for about 10 different types of cars (there are actually two pieces in the box, each with about 5 jack extensions).

So it all ended well, and best as I can tell it sounds as good as ever.

Hello Fotheringay-Phipps,

We're glad to hear of your success. We're sorry to hear that there was a bit of adversity... Persistence paid off in your case, as it does in some many. Good Job!