Haynes Manuals Home

Thread: How do I change the throttle pedal assembly impala LT 08 3.5L v6?

Default How do I change the throttle pedal assembly impala LT 08 3.5L v6?

I have a chevy impala lt o8 model trouble codes P2138 and P2127. throttle pedal position sensor/switch d/ E voltage correlation and throttle pedal position switch sensor/switch E circuit low input. Apparently I have to replace the entire assembly as the sensor is attached to the pedal. It is not available locally at salvage yards and is a dealer only part. My question is how difficult is it to DIY? also do i need to program the sensor and how do i clear the codes? The dealer i called said 350 bucks (seems steep) the part retails for 100 bucks at another chevy house. help!!! (please)

Can anyone give me direction here? The dealership says it is a two hr job. Yet on a toyota it is 15 min. Is GM THAT different?

Hi pokefan,

Maybe this will put things in perspective. I checked online and found the part for $72.99. Another professional repair information service I checked listed it for $99.22, and listed the labor time at 0.4 hr (and warranty replacement time is actually only 0.3 hr!). So if the dealer's labor rate is $100/hr, labor should be less than $50.00.

The job looks very easy, and the procedure is described in Haynes manual no. 24047, Chapter 6, Section 3. There should be no need to program the sensor. To clear the codes you'll need a code reader or scan tool. Prices on code readers have really come down in the last couple of years.

Thank you very much for that info., The dealer insists it is two hours.. They bill an hour just to read the codes. ( Does being screwed seem to be an appropriate term? ) I think I will buy the manual and do it myself. OR have a non dealer mechanic do it. Thank you. I basically only have the use of one hand so working on cars is now a real pain. Thanks again.

You're very welcome!

Funny how they insist on two hours (and an hour to read the code is simply ridiculous!), yet the job only pays the poor dealer technician 0.3/hr when it's done as a warranty repair. Sheesh! Now I remember why I got out of that end of the business!

As for doing the job one-handed, I'd say unplugging the electrical connector will be the hardest part (they usually incorporate a locking device). That, and working under the dash is never very much fun. Maybe a neighbor or a kid on your street who is interested in cars could help? Anyway, good luck whichever route you take.