Haynes Manuals Home

Thread: Engine support fixture on 95 corolla question

Default Engine support fixture on 95 corolla question

hi i've got manual 92036 and a question for the haynes techs. after taking my car to thedealer bcuz of engine vibration throughout entire cabin interior, we confirmed it was 2 bad engine mounts, driver and passenger side both worn. they suggested replacing all FOUR and not just 2, but that will get very expensive. here's my question: i've been looking at engine support bars on amazon, the OTC model looks very good. they come with adjustable J-hooks that u hook onto the engine lifting hooks in my car. my corolla came with one hook thats bolted to the back of the valve cover where the transmission meets the engine. so i bought the other hook from the dealer. if i do this myslef i would only need to hook up the bar to the hooks right? the transmission/engine would not need any FURTHER support such as a transmission/engine jack right? the support bar would be all thats needed to take weight off the mounts and support engine/trans while i replace them correct? if u can kindly add your two cents to this matter it would be appreciated.

Hi Grendal,

If you replace the mounts one at a time you don't need an engine support fixture - you can use a floor jack (with a piece of 2x4 wood on the jack head) and support the engine (or transaxle, when it comes to replacing that mount) from below. Also, it's a lot easier to raise or lower the engine using that method.

thanks for the tip. i will look at my options. i was leaning towards the engine support bar bcuz i was kinda nervous about working under the car with the engine or trans only supported by a jack and 2x4 piece of wood. the OTC model has adjustable J-hooks that u can use to raise or lower engine/trans to desired working height. i'm not even quite sure where i would position the jack and wood block under the trans if i was to replace the driver side transmission mount.

Hello Grendal,

It's highly likely that an equipment rental yard would have and engine support fixure for rent. You may want to call around for availability...