Haynes Manuals Home

Thread: 2001 Chrysler PT Cruiser

Hybrid View

Default 2001 Chrysler PT Cruiser

I have an '01 Pt Cruiser A/T 2.4L. Over the last year I have replaced the alternator, the battery (twice), and the starter. Each time I have had to do this it was because the car simply did not start, and most of the time in the most inconvenient places after previously running. As of 4 weeks ago my a/c (and heat) quit working. Shortly after this I started hearing a slightly muffled sound similar to a coffee can with paper clips in it when ever the car was running. I think this has to do with the compressor? Then five days ago the car decided to once again not start (while it was in metered parking) and it now sits in my driveway. Charging doesn't work and the starter has been checked.When it refuses to start it acts as if the battery is dead and it doesn't even start to turn over. Any ideas on what the issues could be?

Hi kaydee,

I'd say some diagnosis is in order to find out if the battery is in good shape, if the alternator is actually charging it, if the starter solenoid is getting a signal when you turn the key to Start, etc. Chapter 5 in your manual will help you with these things.

Unfortunately, we can't diagnose problems from a remote location. It's usually more economical to have problems diagnosed by a professional technician than guessing and replacing parts (especially when special tools are required).

check the heavy gauge wire that supplies power to the starter for any wear that way allow it to ground draining the battery and overloading the alternator. Also check your engine and body grounds