Haynes Manuals Home

Thread: Replace rear disc brake caliper - 2004 Buick Lesabre

Default Replace rear disc brake caliper - 2004 Buick Lesabre

I bought your manual and found that there is no section covering replacing the rear disc brake caliper. Replacing looks fairly straightforward EXCEPT for disconnecting the parking brake cable from the brake lever on the caliper body. What is the trick to getting the spring compressed enough to get the cable end out of the notch on the brake lever...and to get it back on the new caliper? There is a lot of tension on that spring...can't seem to get it back enough to get enough room to manuever the cable end out. I bought your manual in the hopes that your hands on approach and pictures would get me on the right track. Help!

Hi jrjago,

You can retract the spring by using a pair of diagonal cutting pliers; pass the jaws of the cutters through the coils in the spring, then use them to pull back the spring. When the spring is retracted sufficiently, squeeze the pliers so that the jaws grip the cable, but not so hard that the cable gets nicked.

Default Cable threatened by pliers

Admin, what you are recommending sounds really, really dangerous to the health of the cable. Isn't there a safer way?

Like I said, you have to be careful not to nick any of the cable strands, but it does allow you to hold the spring in the retracted position with a little less effort than, say, needle-nose pliers. Locking needle-nose pliers is another option. Depending on the shape of the lever you might be able to grab the end of the cable with a pair of locking pliers, pull it back, then pass it through the slot. Keep in mind, these are just ideas - ones that I and many other professional mechanics sometimes resort to when necessary. If you're concerned that you might not be able to restrain yourself and grip the cable too tightly, resulting in damaging it, by all means don't use that method!