Haynes Manuals Home

Thread: Service Engine Soon - 2003 Nissan Sentra

Default Service Engine Soon - 2003 Nissan Sentra

A day before I got my oil changed last month my "Service Engine Soon" light came on. I took my car to the dealership for an oil change ( I had a coupon, I don't normally go there). They said the "Service Engine" light is different then the "Check Engine" of older cars. Needles to say they wanted to charge me around 200 dollars to make a diagnosis. About a month later, I turned on my car and my "Service Engine" light was no longer on. Did the problem fix itself? Was it just an odd glitch? Should I actually service my engine soon? What's involved in servicing my engine? Can I use my Haynes manual to do this on my own?

The service engine soon light is the same as a check engine light. Different manufacturers call them different names, but they both are emissions lights. It's pretty rare that a problem fixes itself, but it is possible that you just had a random miss fire. If the light was on for a month straight, I would say there is a problem still, and would get it checked out. $200 is a lot for any shop, and I would start at like auto zone or something like that where they read the code for you for free. That will at least get you started with a diagnosis. Hope I could help.
    Livin Life

Hello Jessica,

We do recommend our manuals for maintenance on your vehicle. Also, we have a chapter dedicated to emission related components which involves the "check engine light."