Haynes Manuals Home

Thread: Manual transaxle level and fluid check 00 LS1 Saturn

Default Manual transaxle level and fluid check 00 LS1 Saturn

In regards to manual 87020 for the saturn L series chapter 1 - 23. I am having difficulty locating the fluid plug for this saab built transmission. The manual says "on the front side of the transaxle housing you will see a plug remove it? I have jacked up this vehicle and looked on both the engine side and the drivers side behind the wheel to find a fluid plug. I only see mounting bolts. Could you give me a more descriptive exact location please. Maybe It's right under my nose, or more likely the fuse box under the hood. The drain plug on the other-hand is clearly visible.

I know that this vehicle is a "fill for life" transmission but it is at 212k miles. I am sure that the clutch has been replaced before but I would like to inspect the fluid. I know it can only be filled with GM part number 21018899 fluid.

Thank you

Good morning,

There are two types of manual transaxles used on these vehicles. On one model there is a check/fill plug and a drain plug on the left (driver's) side of the transaxle; the check fill plug is situated to the rear of the driveaxle flange, and the drain plug is located below the flange. On the other type of transaxle, the drain plug is located below the driveaxle flange (and it looks like it might be on the right side of the case), but there is no check/fill plug; there is a dipstick located at the top of the transaxle and that's also where lubricant is added. I'm pretty sure yours is the second type.

Thank you for your reply and help locating this. Assuming I have actually found it. The picture your looking at is with the plug removed and that is the top side of the transaxle close to the engine side. I have another quick question, What would be the best way to fill this tiny hole? Would a syringe kind of thing work best? I ask because the GM bulletin I read online suggested flushing the trans-axle 2 or 3 times with new fluid. This seems like a vary long task using a hole a small screw fits in?