Haynes Manuals Home

Thread: hose location.

Thumbs up hose location.

I have a2001 bmw 325i manual for my car. On page 1-4 the hose that goes in to the coolant drain plug # 4 area what do you call it? It is coming from the oil pan where the dipstick guide tube is on page 2a-20
    on illustration 12.8. It is leaking ,is it oil ? Thank you very much for taking your time to help me.
    Your manual is great help to me for all my cars .thanks again andreas patarias.

Hi Andreas,

If you're referring to one of the hoses that goes into the silver box-like component just below the coolant drain plug on page 1-4, that would be an engine oil cooler hose. Same with the hose in illustration 12.8 on page 2A-20 (the one indicated by the right arrow).

Thank you for replying about the engine cooling hose. I have to replace this hose. Is this oil or cooling freon .Do I have to drain the engine oil or the freon?Thanks

Hello Andreas,

Engine oil only. Hopefully, you're due for an oil change...

Thank you,I just change the oil a few days ago with a synthrtic one. I have no choise Thanks.

Hello Andreas,

There's no reason that you cannot drain the oil and reuse it if your containers and methods are abolutely clean... One question, are you leaking engine oil from the hose that needs replacing?

Yes it is leaking small drops from the bottom of the hose only when I use the car. It is wet by the connection of the hose dawn there. Is anything that I can add to the engine oil to stop the leak? Thanks You are right I can reuse the old oil.

No, nothing you can add to the oil to stop that leak. Also, it really wouldn't be necessary to drain all of the oil to change the hose - just position a drain pan under the area(s) that will be disconnected. When you're done, check the oil level and add as necessary.

Thank you very much for your info. about drain the oil. You are saving me the pain of my 69 year old musles going under the car to drain the oil.Thanks again.
    I have another problem. I just replaced the front struts, but when I drive the car in rough road it makes noises that I did not hear before. I did tied the bolts on top of the struts well.Anything alse that I need to do? I thank you again for taking your time to help me. Andreas.