Haynes Manuals Home

Thread: 1999 Buick Century Custom _ Brake Problem

Default 1999 Buick Century Custom _ Brake Problem

My 99 Century has little to no assist and it makes an air hissing sound when depressing the brake pedal. I think that this means that I have a faulty brake "power booster." I am thinking that maybe it is a faulty push rod seal in the booster or something along those lines. The vehicle will stop as long as you press hard enough on the brake pedal and the faster you depress the pedal determines whether you receive any brake assist while braking. A slow action on the brake pedal causes the brake pedal to go kinda mushy with a lot of air hiss with little to no brake assist. I am kind of strapped for money right now and am trying to fix this with the least amount of financial damage, so if you think that it is the "power booster" can I simply remove the booster and repair it with some sort of seal kit or something along those lines or do you recommend that I just buy a new "power booster" altogether? Jack.

Hi Jack,

Sounds like a bad power brake booster. Don't try to fix the old one - install a new one or a factory rebuilt unit. It takes special tools to rebuild the booster, and you probably wouldn't be able to obtain parts for it anyway (they're pretty much considered non-rebuildable by the DIY mechanic).