Haynes Manuals Home Buy Haynes Manuals Haynes Manuals Blog Haynes Manuals YouTube Haynes Manuals
View Cart Haynes Manuals
Haynes Manuals Home

Thread: Brake problem on a '93 Ford F150

Default Brake problem on a '93 Ford F150

I have a '93 Ford F150 with a 5.0L engine and an auto. trans. This afternoon while I was driving home from work I noticed both the ABS light and the Brake were on, luckily I was only a few blocks from home at the time. When I got home I shut the engine off and then stated it up again and neither light stayed on. I've checked the master cylinder and it's full. I replaced the front brake pads back in November (I think it was) and a couple months ago I replaced both front rotors and the inner and outer wheel bearings and both wheel seals. Everything on the front has been replaced except the calipers and the nut and washer on the rotors. I think tomorrow I will pull the rear wheels off and inspect the rear brakes. Can anyone please help me and give me some ideas here as to what to look for? Also, I think the brake pedal may feel a little low but I'm not exactly sure. Someone please help! Does anyone have an idea as to what the problem may be?

Please help,
    Cowboy

Hello Cowboy,

If your vehicle has the RABS system (we believe it might), then your base brakes are more integrated with the ABS system. Because diagnosis of the ABS system is beyond the scope of our manual, we direct you to professional assistance when the ABS light stays on. Moreover, because of the integration with the base brakes, we recommend professional assistance based on your design. Just a note, the hydraulic control valve for RABS systems is prone to failure due to exposure to the elements. Go to this web address (copy and paste) for some additional information:

http://www.asashop.org/autoinc/dec99/techtips.htm

Good luck!

Yeah, I'm pretty sure it has rear ABS only. This happened late Friday afternoon as I was driving home from work. On Saturday I checked the rear brake shoes and wheel cylinders and everything looked fine. I drove the truck all weekend and also to work and back today and neither light has ever came back on since Friday afternoon. I will go to the website that you posted and see what's on it. Thanks administrator you've been a great help.

Hey administrator I just went to the web address that you posted and it really provided me with some valuable information. I printed it off on my printer. When they get to the part about checking the RABS valve they recommend that you "build a short brake line to splice between the inlet and outlet lines at the RABS valve to temporarily bypass the valve." How do you build a brake line? Do you just use a rubber hose? Also, where is the RABS valve located on the vehicle? Also, is it necessary to replace the rear wheel cylinders when replacing the valve or do I just need to bleed them?

Hello cowboy,

There's no need to replace the wheel cylinders unless they are leaking. By-passing or jumping the hydraulic circuit is a diagnositic aid used by professionals, we don't recommend it if you have never fabricated brake lines. Again, professional assistance may be necessary for proper diagnosis in your case -at least retrieve any trouble codes that may be stored in the ABS control module. Also, you could see if others have experienced the same kind of failure in their F-150 trucks from the same generation and see what they did to solve it by doing some online research. There are many online forums for Ford trucks and enthusiasts post their experiences in them. Something else to consider, check the electrical connectors for all of your ABS componenents. To find the RABS control valve, follow the brakes lines from the rear brakes along the frame rail -you should see it mounted along the frame rail. To see what one looks like, go online and search the replacement part -they will show an illustration in most cases.

Ok thanks adminstrator I'll consider that. I drove the truck to and from work today and I could defintely feel a low pedal at times when sitting at a red light. Still didn't have any illumination from the ABS light or the brake warning light.

One other thing, how do you block off the master cylinder when making a diagnosis? What do you plug the master cylinder with? Also, do I need to plug the brake lines as well?

Hello cowboy,

There are some checks that you can do regarding the brake system and they are listed in our manual in Chapter 9. We do have two Haynes Techbook series manuals regarding brakes: Automotive Brake Manual (#10410) and Automotive Anti-lock Brake Systems (ABS) Manual (#10411) that offer more in-depth information that you might find helpful. For advanced diagnosis, we highly recommend professional assistance because expertise and special tools are most likely necessary to pinpoint your brake condition. Your safety is our concern.

Ok thanks adimistrator. I'll look at chapter 9 of my manual and also see if I can find those two techbooks you mentioned. I went to Autozone last Saturady to see if they could pull up the codes for me and the man said that they couldn't pull up any codes for the brake system they can only pull up engine codes. He said that I will have to take it the dealer. If I need to have a professional do it then I'll take to a repair shop because I hate car dealerships. I've been burned by dealerships more times than I care to count over the years. Worked at two different dealerships and didn't like either one of them. Anyway, thanks again administrator you've been a great help.