Haynes Manuals Home

Thread: A/C Compressor Clutch

Question A/C Compressor Clutch

Car in question is a 97 Saturn SL and I'm using repair manual 87010 covering the Saturn S-series and the Heating/Air Conditioning Techbook.

The A/C compressor clutch failed on the car. There is a removal procedure in the book for the compressor, but not for removing the clutch from the compressor. What is your recommendation in this situation? Do I need to replace the entire compressor as a unit or can the DIYer safely remove the clutch itself?

I did some online research and it looks like I can obtain the clutch itself, but special tools will be required for removal.

Well, the DIYer could remove the clutch with the proper tool (on most compressors it's a puller that threads into the hub of the clutch), but the cost of the tool is probably much more than it would cost to have the clutch replaced by a mechanic who already has the proper tool.

It looks like I may be able to rent the necessary tool kit. Do you have any information on compressor clutch removal specific to this vehicle that you could send me? It's a 97 Saturn, SL, DOHC engine.

OK,

Email one of our tech service reps at research@haynes.com and request this info (that way they'll have your email address). If you have a fax machine give them that number (that would be the easiest way to get the info to you.