Haynes Manuals Home

Thread: replace oil pump on a '93 Ford F150

Default replace oil pump on a '93 Ford F150

I left a posting on this forum the other day asking about replacing the oil pan gasket on a '93 Ford F150 with a 5.0L V8 and an auto. trans. and I'm also going to replace the oil pump while I'm at it for added assurance. I will tackle this job in a few weeks. Anyway, my question is do you recommend upgrading to say a Melling high volume oil pump? This is a stock engine so I'm wondering if it's even worth it. I would like to install a good quality pump but I'm not sure if an HV pump is a good idea. Also, I looked at a few hv pumps online, some of them said that it may require minor modifications to the oil pan. Do you have any idea what they mean by making modifications to the oil pan? I'm not sure what they're talking about. Please help.

Sincerely,
    Cowboy

Personally, I'd go with a stock pump.

ok, I'll consider that. Can you recommend any good brands? I'm also curious what kind of modifications they're saying may have to be made to the oil pan for the high volume pump. Do you have any ideas on that?

Hi again,

As for the modification to the pan, no, I don't know. Try contacting the pump manufacturer - they'll be able to tell you.

We aren't supposed to endorse any particular brands of anything (for obvious reasons). Sorry. Do a little hunting around on the Internet; I'm sure that will help inform you on a decision.

Ok thanks, I'll keep searching for one. You've been a great help. again, thanks for your time.

Thank YOU for using Haynes manuals!

Yeah, I just bought my Haynes repair manual a couple weeks ago and I really like it. I've got a Chilton's manual that I've had for several years now and I have to say the Haynes manual blows that one away. My Haynes manual is far more accuarate than my Chilton's manual and I also like the fact that the Haynes manual has actual pictures in it to show what you're talking about(Which is something that Chilton's does not have). Thanks again Haynes administrator.

Just wanted to correct a spelling error "accuarate" is supposed to be "accurate". Thanks gagain.

I see that I need to correct another spelling error in the previous posting, "gagain" should be "again".