Haynes Manuals Home

Thread: 83 Honda Shadow VT750C Fuel Pump Replacement

Default 83 Honda Shadow VT750C Fuel Pump Replacement

The original issue... I am going to purchase a bike from a dealer. They said that the bike had been in running condition the previous summer/fall and they had run it a few times in the garage over the winter. Someone wanted to buy it and it wouldn't start at all. When troubleshooting it they said that they had tried bypassing the fuel pump by directly connecting a gas line to the carb and it did start... but when they took another pump from a yamaha and put it on the bike it didn't work. Although that could just mean that either the Yamaha pump was bad or wasn't enough for that bike. Or i guess it could be the Relay going to the pump. I heard that you can bypass the relay by directly connecting the pump to the battery for testing.

I guess I just need an opinion for this, does it sound like a straight-forward fix? This is a small local dealer who I have not heard bad things about, so they do seem trustworthy.

Also, if i do purchase the bike does anybody know where I can fine information on how to replace the fuel pump in a 1983 Honda Shadow VT750C. I couldn't find a haynes manual for it. Anybody know if I can either find a haynes manual or another resource that can show me what to do?

Thanks!

Doug

Hello dougmorin,

Give www.clymer.com (http://www.clymer.com) a try. You might also look into getting the actual factory service manual for that bike. Keep in mind, replacing components can be an expenisve method of diagosing a problem. We would imagine that a bonafide dealer would be able to repair this condition before selling the bike...

Turns out that they did try replacing the fuel filter, but while doing that they blew the fuel pump relay. They took the fuel pump from another bike. They said that that's when they threw in the towel and put it out back. At this point i assume that replacing the fuel pump and the relay will fix it. Either way... i will most definitely need to purchase the manual.