Haynes Manuals Home

Thread: Weird turn signal problems

Question Weird turn signal problems

I have a 2001 buick Regal V6. The turn signals blink rapidly (as if a bulb was blown) the rear signals flash on and off when the turn signal is activated (both right and left)--however, the front turn signal lights only come (on the appropriate side) and do not flash (both sides the same issue). I replaced all bulbs (front and back) and I bought the "Buick, Oldsmobile, and Pontiac (fullsize model) 1985-2005 Haynes manual looking for the turn signal relay.

In this manual (page 12-4) it states that "small cannister shaped flasher units are incorporated into the electrical circuits for the directional signals and hazard warning lights. However, it does not tell me where these "small cannister shaped flasher units" are!

I have checked all fuses--and also noticed there is not a relay in the fuse box in the car or under the hood dedicated to turn signals.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I am a single dad raising a 17 year old son--who gets his license Thursday. I am tired of playing taxi!

thanks.

Mark from Texas
    Last edited by mark1002; 03-21-2011 at 04:32 AM. Reason: spelling

Hi Mark,

The turn signal/hazard flasher is located under the steering column, attached to a bracket on the Body Control Module (BCM). I believe on your vehicle it isn't a canister-shaped flasher, but a square one.

In the manual you are using, the caption for illustration 7.5 gives the location of the flasher. BUT - just so you know, you are using the wrong manual. The manual that covers your Regal is no. 38010. (However, the turn signal info in that book is pretty much the same.)

Good luck. Good luck to your son, too!

Great! Now that I have found where it is, how do I get at it? Are there hidden screws? Do I remove the whole bottom panel?

Than you so much!

Hello mark1002,

It is a square unit that resembles a relay... You should be able to pull it directly out to remove it -there are no fasteners for it.

Default Where oh where?

OK...I am not a total non-mechanical person, but I can not find this relay. IS it under the steering column as in under the dash? I pulled the carpet covering loose and looked from where the column went into the firewall as far forward as I could and could not see anything square. I look pretty much everywhere there. There is a place where several wires goes in a black box under the dash to the left of the sterring column, but it did not look like anything like a relay.

Or is it under the actual sterring wheel, in the compartement where the lever to adjust the wheel is?

It's under the left side of the instrument panel, to the left of the steering column, attached to a slotted bracket on the Body Control Module. Remove the under dash panel and the trim panel underneath the steering column. To remove it from the BCM, slide it to the right then unplug the electrical connector. It's the bottom of the two relays (the upper one is the back-up light relay).