Haynes Manuals Home

Thread: '97 Chevy Sub K1500 gauge reads engine overheating

Default '97 Chevy Sub K1500 gauge reads engine overheating

Two weeks ago my upper radiator hose burst after pulling into the parking lot at work. I changed the hose and added additional coolant, a week later the while driving the vehicle the temp. gauge went from 195 to 260 degrees. I have changed the thermostat, the radiator cap and temp. sensor and the vehicle still exceeds 260 degrees. It should be noted that the vehicle warms up fine and reaches the appropiate temp. but when placing the vehicle in drive it will exceed the 260 degree mark. In addition the upper radiator hose has no pressure when you squeeze it with the engine running. Does the vehicle need to be flushed or could the problem be of a different nature?

Hi asmrho,

What I find strange is the fact that there doesn't seem to be any pressure in your cooling system when it's warm. Check the coolant level and also check the system again carefully for another leak. Better yet, have the cooling system pressure tested. If another leak has developed, it would be a good idea to have the system checked with a combustion leak detector, because it isn't normal for hoses to keep bursting.

Thanks for your interest in Haynes manuals.