Haynes Manuals Home Buy Haynes Manuals Haynes Manuals Blog Haynes Manuals YouTube Haynes Manuals
View Cart Haynes Manuals
Haynes Manuals Home

Thread: '03 Chevy Blazer steering intermediate shaft

Default '03 Chevy Blazer steering intermediate shaft

Hi,
    I have noticed a couple of months ago some free play when slightly turning the steering wheel back and forth. The free play is about roughly 3/8 in or 1cm.

I tried looking it up in the Haynes manual #24071 for that vehicle, page 10-15, picture 18.3b showing the part wich I suspect to be the problem showing how to detach it from the gear shaft but no further info on that part.

What I would like to know is can I keep driving like this until I can have it fixed and is that particular part know to break apart?
    Also, is it expensive and is that part on those Chevy Blazers known to be problematic in the past?

Thankyou

Hello '03 Chevy Blazer,

Our manual's scope regarding this part is to separate it from the steering gear input shaft to remove other components. After a bit of online research, it appears that other folks have had issues with the intermediate steering shaft. We believe that you would benefit from this information and suggest you do a bit of online research to decide which course of action that you would like to take. If you decide that you would like to replace the intermediate steering shaft, email one of our tech service reps at research@haynes.com, or call them at 1-800-442-9637. Give them the number/letter combination on the title page of the manual, just to the right of the Haynes logo; it looks something like this: (4JR - 36055). They'll do what they can to provide some additional information to assist you in replacing the shaft.

Here's something to help you get started online (copy and paste the following link):
    http://www.bing.com/search?q=chevy+blazer+intermediate+shaft+problems& src=IE-SearchBox