Haynes Manuals Home

Thread: Corolla throttle body cleaning always a pain...

Default Corolla throttle body cleaning always a pain...

hi,
    i got haynes manual 92036 and i need your techs to shed some light on this topic. this afternoon i performed a routine cleaning of my corolla's throttle body. i took off the intake boot to expose the throttle plate and with the engine off, i sprayed air intake/throttle plate cleaner all inside the body and sprayed some into the IAC valve diamond shaped hole in the front of the plate. i wiped the inside clean and let it sit for about 30 minutes. apparently i sprayed way too much cleaner cuz when i went to start the engine i had a very hard time doing so. there was quiet a bit of cleaner left behind the plate i could not reach or dry out and when i finally was able to start the car, it ran very rough for about 3 seconds and then the engine just died out. i started again and it still ran rough so i quickly gave it some gas to increase the speed and it finally calmed down after i took it for a test drive. now it runs great but here's my question? will this ALWAYS happen every time someone cleans the throttle body? this has always been a common occurance to me, and i cant imagine a professional mechanic going thru this every time when they do this on cars in the shop. i know its good practice and necessary to clean the IAC valve motor and throttle plate of carbon, but there has to be an easier way to go thru this procedure than letting my engine die out, i doubt its good to do this to the engine anyway. can u offer any advice here? always appreciate the input

Hello again, Grendal,

When cleaning the throttle body, you're only supposed to spray enough to wet down the surfaces, then you can wipe it off with a rag. You shouldn't spray so much in that it pools up in the throttle body or intake plenum. If you do, well, you know the result! Your engine had to choke down that un-atomized liquid before it could run properly.

thanks for the reply. i knew i got a too little spray happy oh well, it was an interesting experience nonetheless!!! thanks again for your input, my now smooth idling engine extends its gratitude to your tech team forum!!!!