Haynes Manuals Home

Thread: 2004 Ram U Joint Replacement Help (2WD)

Default 2004 Ram U Joint Replacement Help (2WD)

Thanks to all who helped me with my front and rear rotor/pad replacment.

Now my driveshaft is squelling. When I go in reverse.... no squeall. when the truck is wet from the rain .... no squeal.

When I go in forward motion I get a loud tick,tick,tick,,,,,squeal sound. Someone told me its the U-joints.

Section 8-12 states that I need a large vise or press. Can I bang the joints out of the trunions?
    Please confirm that the front and rear driveshaft torques. section 8 only shows the 4WD torques.

Also it is not clear in section 8-9 does not clearly state which wheel set is setting on the jack stands. Front or Rear?

Do I need to mark the driveshaft prior to removal? I thought that was old technology>

Thanks.

Jerry

Hi Jerry,

Well, it's no secret that a lot can be accomplished with a hammer, but that isn't the method we recommend to replace the U-joints. You run the risk of marring-up the yoke ears. Also, you don't want to install the new joint by banging it together.

As far as what set of wheels is being raised in the section you're referring to, well, your truck is a 2WD model, so you would want to raise the rear end.

The torque specification is listed on page 8-2, under "Driveshaft-to-rear axle/2004 and later (1500) models."

Marking the driveshaft to the pinion is a good idea to preserve balance.

Do I need to balance my driveshaft after I have replaced the u joints? and do I need to mark my driveshast before I reove from the transmission and rear axle?

Thanks

Jerry

Hello grajzj1,

Clocking (marking or indexing) any mated rotating parts is a good practice and part of our written procedure. Balancing the driveshaft should not be necessary.

Thanks. I'll let you know how I successed. I have a automtive guy who will replace my U-joints for $20 each. I will supply him the U-joints. Is $20 per joint a reason cost?

Thanks.

Hello grajzj1,

That seems like a fair deal... Good luck with your project.

I marked the pinion and etc.
    But with the rust, my paint marker smeared off. Am I in deep trouble?

I did not mark the transmission side, I see that my driveshaft have balance mass metal resistance welded to the OD.

Will I still be OK after I reinstall my driveshaft?

Thanks

Jerry

By the way, the driveshaft is made of aluminum and not steel.

Am I still OK about not being able to accurately replace the driveshaft on my pinion plate?

Jerry

Hello grajzj1,

It shouldn't be a problem... the practice of putting rotating parts back to their original configurations is used to help preserve the balance that those parts had when mated. If there is a vibration after installation, simply try using a different configuration.