Haynes Manuals Home

Thread: 2004 ford freestar rear door latch

Default 2004 ford freestar rear door latch

A couple of days ago i went open the rear door on my 2004 ford freestar and to no avail it did not open. First off i'd like to thank ford for providing such large access panel so that i can try to open the door manually.....and i say this with great sarcasim.

Can anyone help!

I see all the guts of the mechanism, but i can't figure out how to get the damn door open. I don't feel like paying $500.00 to get it fixed by the dealership (i now know why the hole is so small....they don't want us do-it-yourselfers to fix it on our own.)

if anyone has a schematic or can help out in anyway i would greatly appreciate it

thanks,

Question I have the same problem

mattrp55, I have the same problem with our 2004 Freestar, and haven't been able to find any resources on how to fix it myself. The rear hatch door was working fine, then one day it wouldn't open. It would be nice if there was a key lock to open the back door, but alas there is none. Serious design flaw.

Were you ever able to fix yours, or did you have to take it to the dealership?

The rear latch in freestars have a tendancy to corrode due to moisture getting into the mechanism. To manualy unlock, when looking through the "huge" access panel, you will see a rod of sorts with a round eye hole at the top. This rod needs to be moved all the way to the right in order to unlock and engage the door handle. After getting the door open, I would suggest pulling off the inside panel and lubricating the mechanism so the lock/unlock rod moves freely. Otherwise it will more than likely happen again.

HELP

I am having problems with my rear latch, mine is open but the lock has turned so when I go to close it won't close properly which mines I can't lock my car ! Or drive it without tying it down !

Can anyone help?
    carol