Haynes Manuals Home

Thread: 2004 RAM 1500 Disc Replacement Question

Default 2004 RAM 1500 Disc Replacement Question

I have my Haynes manual for my truck. The front and rear disc change and pad replacement looks straight forward. I have changed the pads already 3 years ago. Now I must replace my discs. I read a blog on Haynes online in 2008 about a guy having an issue with removeing the rear disc. he had to bang off the disc. I have 89,000 miles on mytruck. Will I have to do this too? The truck is making a real load clicking noise on the rear tires. I see about 1/8" of pad left. The rotoe brake surface areas are red not shiny.

Do I need emergceny change out this weekend?

Thanks

Hi grajzj1,

Hard to say; you won't know until you give it a try. If they are stuck, try applying penetrating oil around the wheel studs and around the center of the disc. It usually doesn't take too much force to get a stuck disc off, but since you'll be replacing them with new ones you don't have to worry about marring-up the old ones.

As far as the disc being red and not shiny, I don't know what's going on with that. Once you get the wheel off and check it out, drop us another message and let us know.

Thanks, and good luck!

Thanks. I will keep you posted. Tomorrow (Saturday) - I will begin the task 50F temp expected.

Just want to want know: The Disc Mounting bracket -- This bracket's function is to keep the disc in place or what?
    Note: I'm used to the older style disc brakes, where we puled out the center hub cap, removed the cotter pin and washer, etc.)

Can you confirm that the disc mounting bracket bolts require a 130 ft-lb torque. That what it says in the book. I do not have any loc-tite product for the bolts... is that OK?

Thanks
    Jerry

Hi Jerry,

It isn't the disc mounting bracket, it's the caliper mounting bracket; it's what holds the caliper to the steering knuckle (front) or the axle tube (rear). The disc doesn't need anything to hold it in place, as it's sandwiched between the hub flange (front) or axleshaft flange (rear) and the wheel.

Torque for the front mounting bracket bolts is 130 ft-lbs.
    Torque for the rear mounting bracket bolts is 100 ft-lbs.

Thread locking compound isn't required on those bolts.

Just a note, in the copy of the manual I'm looking at, on page 9-2, a line of type slipped up to the end of the "Note" (Caliper mounting bracket bolts); it should appear right over the beginning of the torque specs on that page.

Thanks I'll keep you all posted. I will begin with the rear brakes in morning.
    Jerry

To all,

Thanks for your input... operations a success.

I have one more issue. Prior to changing my rear brakes , I was having a squealing sound issue underneath my truck..... I figured it was my rear disc brakes. Now after changing the disc and pads, plus cleaning the calipers and internal emergency brake internals, the truck still makes this squealing sound. My wife drives the truck in forward motion the squealing/squeeking sound comes underneath the P/S rear - not by the wheels. When the truck is driven in reverse, the squeek/squeal does not happen. I sprayed silicon lube on the leave spring mounting grommets and still I hear the squeasl/queek. It is quite loud and embarressing. Sounds like a bearing squeal/squeek. What do you think is the issue?

Thanks
    Jerry

Well, unfortunately we really can't speculate on the cause of the squeak from a remote location. Will it make the noise when the truck is supported on jackstands? If so, that would make it easier to track down.

Good luck!

Only when the truck is in forward motion.... even when you walk along side of the rear it sqeaks/squals..... At high speeds 25, 35, 45, 55, 60 mph, the squeal is contining but not as load but still very noticiable. I'm sure the bystanders heard it.

Thanks.

Jerry