Haynes Manuals Home

Thread: My horn and trunk pull-down mechanism won't work!!

Default My horn and trunk pull-down mechanism won't work!!

ok. so i inherited a 91 buick Park avenue from my dad. while he was monkeying around with it he thinks he shorted a wire... at that moment the automatic trunk pull-down mechanism and the horn quit working. He thought it was perhaps a fusable link as NONE of the main fuses link to these features (I pulled them all out of my spare car and the trunk pull-down still operates) oh, by the way I have spare car that I draw parts from... anyways, i can't find the fuse for the horn or the trunk pull down. This is probably a quick fix - can anyone help???

P.S. The fuse box cover says, "For access for additional fuses remove right sound insulator; check owner's manual" I checked the owners manual that I have and found nothing about a 'right sound insulator'??? What the heck is the right sound insulator and will this be where I can find the fuses for my horn and trunk pull-down mechanism??? thanks!!!

Hi Monkeywrench,

The right sound insulator is the under-dash panel on the passenger's side - that's where the other fuse box is (and if it isn't there, look behind the right kick panel). The horn and the trunk pull-down unit are on the same circuit; they're protected by fuse no. 7, an orange 40-amp fuse.

I hope this helps.

Awesome!!! Thanks. Just before I got this response I figured out what the sound insulator was - changed the fuse and presto!!! it was a 25 amp fuse just FYI. Everything works great now! i changed the motor in the trunk and it is back in working order.

Just one more question: I'm trying to track down an auto wrecker who might have the two right and left horn button for the steering wheel. just little plastic plate that work the horn. both mine are missing. it is very hard find as the parts are discontinued and they want me to buy the entire airbag system! Any ways if you have suggestions as to a good site on the net for used / discontinued GM / Buick parts, that would be handy.

Thanks again for all your help!!

Hello Monkeywrench,

We're glad to hear of your success regarding the fuse. With regard to parts for older vehicles, we generally direct folks to a local salvage yard. With the internet as large and useful as it is, it is certainly a great source for new and used parts. We bet that if you do a little searching, you'll be able to come up with several options.