Haynes Manuals Home

Thread: Does a 2005 corolla water pump need RTV sealant on it?

Default Does a 2005 corolla water pump need RTV sealant on it?

Hello to all the haynes techs,
    i have manual 92037 and am in need of a new water pump for my mother's 2005 corolla. looks just as hard as my 95 corolla i did a while back. her old pump is noisy. my question is this. in your manual u do not state that their is a water pump gasket, only a small O-ring to replace. so i take it the pump just bolts up to the block with no gasket. so, do i need to use RTV sealant all around the pump, encircling all bolt holes before i bolt it to the block? u dont even mention anything about RTV in the steps outlined. do i apply RTV to one side or both sides of a gasket if it comes with one? i used RTV on my 95 corolla and it had a gasket too. so, can u please clarify if i need to even use RTV and if so what color? blue, black, or should i just get that black toyota FIPG stuff at the dealer that they use on the oil pans and valve covers. please explain, thanks so much.

Hello Grendal,

No RTV necessary here. Just make certain that the new O-ring is placed properly and that the mating surfaces for the O-ring seal are clean. It's also a good idea to torque the mounting fasteners in steps.

thanks for the quick response. surprising to hear that no RTV is required here. hopefully i can tackle this myself and save the $400 labor charge the dealer is asking for

Hello Grendal,

Good luck with your project!