Haynes Manuals Home

Thread: Replacing the Alternator on 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee

Default Replacing the Alternator on 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee

Hello I am in the process of replacing the alternator ( manual 50025 page 5-12 section 11 Alternator - removal and installation) so far I have followed steps 1 through 2. Step 3 Loosen tension is where I am having trouble, this step refers me back to chapter 1 ( page 1-20, section 21 Drivebelt check, adjustment and replacement. Okay reading to Adjustment step 4 ( 4.o L 6-cylinder with AC and an automatic adjuster) step 8 (page 1-22 bottom left column) say's to use a wrench to rotate the tensioner clockwise and release the tension on the belt( see illustration 21.7c page 1-22.

Okay what kind of wrench do I need? I tried using a prybar pushing downward on the tensioner arm and all that got me was a bloody knuckle when that slipped ! The nut appears to be a star head on the pivot point.

Any suggestions for what I need would be greatly appreciated at this point.

thanks
    The Wise Guy

Hi Wise Guy,

On your vehicle you have to engage a square-drive tool (a ratchet or breaker bar) into the square hole in the tensioner arm (between the pivot bolt and the pulley) to rotate the tensioner away from the belt.

Okay, I will use the Breaker Bar. Can I be so lucky that if I push the tensioner arm to the bottom that it will catch so i can keep the tension off while I switch out the Alternator? Or Do I need extra hands available to help with the belt?

Thanks
    Wise Guy

No, it won't stay in the released position. The best thing to do is release the tension, slip the belt off the tensioner pulley, then allow the tensioner to go back the other way. When installing the belt, route it around all of the pulleys except the tensioner pulley, then retract the tensioner and seat the belt on the tensioner pulley.

SUCCESS!!!! After about a half an hour of work Done!!! The belt slipped off two times but I was able to put it back on and finish. Had a couple of problems with the mounting bolts, but worked that out.
    Thanks for the help. it is most appreciated!

The Wise Guy
    Last edited by Wise Guy; 10-27-2010 at 02:19 AM.

Good job! Now you're a Wiser Guy!

The Wise Guy