Haynes Manuals Home

Thread: Downloadable Manuals

Default Downloadable Manuals

In the FAQs, CD-ROM manuals are mentioned and are made to look like such an inconvenience because you would have to walk back and forth between a desk computer and the car. Really? Most people have laptops and the internet. Whenever I'm working on a car, I have my laptop sitting on my workbench to research issues on the internet, and then I have a stupid hard copy of a haynes manual sitting next to it that I have to thumb through, going back and forth between the index and the page I need. It would be a lot easier if it was on my laptop so I could just do a quick search for keywords.
    I'll be here to welcome you into the 21st century when you decide to make downloads (or even just online viewing) available.

Hi Michael-
    Haynes is watching the trends in our consumer research and many feel as you do. However, many more at this point want a printed book to take into the garage for a variety of reasons. The reasons include the fact that they can get the book dirty with greasy thumbprints, most can instantly go back and forth b/t sections on the fender of their car, and most don't have the luxury of a laptop and wireless internet. When the trends show a larger demand for elecronic delivery, you can be sure Haynes will be ready. Thanks for your input and we take your comments to heart as we do all of our message board members. Admin

I think you should redo your research. As of May 2010, 55% of American adults have laptops (http://www.internetinnovation.org/factbook/tags/tag/laptop) and 50.1% of all computer sales from Amazon.com are laptops (http://askville.amazon.com/percentage-annual-computer-sales-laptops-notebooks/AnswerViewer.do?requestId=167814). To say that many people don't have the luxury of a laptop is just a cop-out.

Also, over 70% of Americans age 18-50 have, or have used, wireless internet (http://pewresearch.org/pubs/1454/demographic-profiles-internet-broadband-cell-phone-wireless-users). A better assessment of how many have the "luxury" of a laptop and wireless internet is that most do have it.

Actually, I just checked out the chilton diy website and saw that they have cd-rom manuals and online access. Maybe I'll just check them out instead of trying to fight against old traditions.

Michael-
    The research I cited is with our target market--the actual Auto DIYers, not the general population. Anyway, we wish you the best. Admin

Hi admin....

I'm a DIY'er, and I'm part of the general population, and I'm over 50, and I have a laptop and wireless internet. I agree with the OP, sounds like a cop-out. I'm not trying to cause an issue here, but the OP has very good points that a progressive company should consider. EVERY mechanic I know has internet access in their shop, and a VERY great portion of DYI's are "connected" in one for or another. Haynes should seriously consider this....
    1985 F-150XL 351W

Thanks for your input Anafiel. We take all comments to heart. Best, Admin

I'm about to work on my car and want directions on how to remove a heater core. I am looking for an electronic version, not because I plan on getting my laptop ruined. I plan on doing it because I want to print out the pages I need, in order. So, instead of bouncing around in the manual, I can just have the pages in order for my repair. Also, I happen to need the manual for tomorrow morning, and want to do my research tonight. I don't want to repair the car later, I want to repair the car now. I can't download the manual or view it, so I am not interested in your service.

I believe the real reason you don't want to sell internet versions is 1. you are afraid people will share their copy (can do this with the printed version), or 2 you don't have a grasp on technology to do it (in which case, can I trust your ability to help with a technical problem)?

I understand traditional fears of doing something that is the new technology. The record companies were fearful of the radio because no one would buy records. Turned out, the record sales shot up once the music was availble on the new technology (free radios).

Hello tcminvan,

We appreciate your comments because this helps us understand where our customers are coming from. We've been around for 50 years and we look forward to many more years of service and successful publishing. We will continue to explore new opportunities in our field and take advantage of all technologies to that end.

Motuti, Hokianga, Far North, North Island, New Zealand, Southern Hemisphere, Planet Earth, Milky

i am on a lap top but i'd probably be the only one within 60 km's with the capability to do this barring the professionals. In some places laptops are a luxury, people as well as ip coverage, we still need the books

Welcome to the 21st century!
    I'm working on my van today and was about to go to the store to get a printed manual, but decided to see if there were online manuals yet.... much to my surprise, there is!
    Thanks!