Haynes Manuals Home

Thread: 1997 Mercury Mountaineer

Default 1997 Mercury Mountaineer

I have a 1997 mercury mountaineer and have just started to get a leak in the radiator. I've done the standard, check clamps and hoses, put some stop leak in. Still having problems. I was going to remove the radiator to have it tested, so I gout out my handy dandy Haynes manual and started following the instructions. Everything was going good and it was simple until it came to the point of removing the plastic clips at the bottom of the radiator that holds the condenser to the radiator. That is not the case. The condensor is fastened with brackets that appear that is will have to come off with the radiator which will cause me to break the seal on the A/C unit. Any help here? I'm very frustrated.

Hello wgarrett88: 1997 models should come out without being attached to the A/C condenser. But, late production and 1998 models have ears that the condenser slides into. At the bottom of the radiator, there should be a plastic buckle that must be squeezed together. Then, squeeze the anit-rattle clip by the lower hose outlet. Slide the condenser out of the slots.