PDA

View Full Version : Any other images sources for california emission engines

MarkTJohnson
05-27-2009, 01:36 AM
I have the Mercury Villager/Nissan Quest manual but discovered tonight that I have the 1998 california emission engine model. This explains why many of the pictures don't match what I am seeing in my 1999 Villager.

Are there any updated online resources for this other engine? I have two things sitting on top of the throttle body that I have no idea what they are.

I'm going back to the car now so, I will check back later for an answer.

I'm wondering if a misadjusted idle cable would cause the knock sensor and the IAC to pop codes?

Thanks for the help.

Mark T Johnson

admin
05-27-2009, 07:02 PM
There is no newer information available yet. The cable should not cause the knock sensor code but might contribute to the IAC code.

MarkTJohnson
05-28-2009, 01:57 AM
Had the real diagnosis done today. Idle Speed Control valve is the culprit. Mechanic says that could cause the knock sensor issue. Had a ****ens of a time finding the parts. No body had schematics that showed the Idle Speed Control and the Idle Air Control being wired into the same connector, the diagrams only referenced the Idle Speed Control. Finally went to a Nissan dealer and spoke to the parts guy. His program only shows one control there but does call it a kit. Said he never sold any for the Villager but has for the Maxima and the 300 Z used to look like that too.

Better the $75 dollar part rather than the Ford/Mercury solution, entire throttle body at $1400.

There does seem to be significant difference between the pre and post 1998 engine designs.

MarkTJohnson
05-28-2009, 01:59 AM
Didn't realize that the English author of A Christmas Carol would pop as offensive language. Sorry about that.