PDA

View Full Version : 2000 SL2 Saturn Shutoff & Won't Restart

MagnumLT1
04-02-2009, 02:48 AM
So the old lady was drivin' home from work tonight, while she was sitting at the redlight the car suddenly turned off. She said there was no weird sounds, vibrations or anything and the dash lights all came on as if you were trying to start the car. Long story short car got towed to the house and I leave duty for a bit to go take a look at the car. When you go to start the car you hear is a fairly loud tick/click type of sound in the lower left front of the car behind the left front tire. Starter issues?? Should I just pull it and take it to the local parts store and let them test it??

admin
04-02-2009, 04:32 PM
MagnumLT1 - It sounds like it could bea the starter or just a bad battery. Check the battery out using Chapter 5 of your Haynes manual. When you turn the key to try and start it connect a voltmeter to the battery, trying and start the engine. Does the battery voltage drop below 10 volts, if so the battery is bad (if it was fully charged).

MagnumLT1
04-02-2009, 08:35 PM
Couldn't sleep last night because I had a bad gut feeling.. sure enough had her check her oil and it was bone dry with a ton of metal shavings stuck to the dipstick. I knew the battery was fine since the lights were working good including the power windows and what not. Pretty much chalk it up to the old lady not checkin' her oil regulary even though she knew she had an oil leak :cool: