PDA

View Full Version : 1971 Olds Cutlass Battery Keeps Dying

Ton80Out
01-10-2009, 07:22 PM
Hi All, . I drive this car 2-3x/week lately. This started a week ago. The battery was dead so I charged it. Car ran all day, dead again in 24 hours. Recharged, runs, dies. So I bought a new battery Jan5th09. Drove on the 7th. Dead on the 9th. I charged battery again yesterday. It was 12.14v resting. Started right up High idle 13.74-14.45v, warm idle 13.40v. I went out today and it's dead again. Never had this problem before. Replaced Vo;ltage Regulaor a feww years ago due to corroded terminal. I am thining of just buying anothe regulator and seeing what happens. Thanks for your idea. Dave

admin
01-12-2009, 02:55 PM
ton80out - What is the voltage at the battery when its runnig at idle. It should be 14.5 volts if its not your alternator is bad. If the alternator checks out ok then you will need to check for a short. Disconnect the positive side battery cable and put a test light between the cable end and the terminal. If there is a short or draw the test light will light. Remove one fuse at a time until the light goes out. What ever fuse make the light go out when its removes is your problem circuit.