PDA

View Full Version : Driveaxle installation on 95 corolla

Grendal
01-06-2009, 04:46 PM
Hi,
I have haynes manual 92036 and i am stuck at a very awkward step in my repair. It's my 95 corolla I'm working on. i am replacing the driver side driveaxle due to a torn boot. Following the steps outlined in your manual i was able to remove the old driveaxle by dropping the control arm and also disconnecting the tie rod from the knuckle. it took quite a bit of force but i managed to pop out the axle from the transmission with a pry bar. But i can't seem to get the new axle to go in and "seat" properly, i know this sounds strange but it just won't snap in. Does the metal retaining ring on the inner joint need to be facing a certain direction and does it require alot of force to push the axle back in the trans? I'm inclined to grab it and push in as hard as i can, but i don't want to break anything. can u offer any suggestions? it would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

admin
01-06-2009, 06:21 PM
Hi Grendal,

Try positioning the retaining ring with the gap facing down. That way, the ring will sit a little bit lower in its groove, making it easier for it to pop into the differential side gear. It might still take quite a bit of force, and make sure the inner joint is entering squarely, but it should be easier with the ring gap facing down.

Grendal
01-06-2009, 08:32 PM
It worked!! I turned the drivexale so the retaining ring faced down, then i braced myself and put one hand on the shaft and the other end on the inner joint housing and shoved it in HARD. i did not realize you had to use so much force to put it back in, but it's seated in there real good now. Thank you so much, you just saved me $300 in labor. You guys are AWESOME:D

admin
01-06-2009, 08:49 PM
Way to go!!!! Glad we could help, and thanks for using Haynes manuals.

Happy New Year!