PDA

View Full Version : overheating

tomcat
09-03-2007, 03:58 AM
i need help i have a jeep cherokee 4x4 and it overheats about 20 minutes of driving i checked the anti freeze and the lines for leaks and it keeps doin it someone told me it could be the thermostat stuck so what advice could yall give me

admin
09-04-2007, 04:14 PM
Hi tomkat,

Sorry you are having trouble. Please send an email to research@haynes.com including the manual number you are using and a description of your problem.

pjays_huletun
01-09-2008, 11:02 AM
i need help i have a jeep cherokee 4x4 and it overheats about 20 minutes of driving i checked the anti freeze and the lines for leaks and it keeps doin it someone told me it could be the thermostat stuck so what advice could yall give me

or mabe the temp sensore?

admin
01-09-2008, 04:18 PM
tomcat - There are several things that can cause your problem.
A radiator that does not have proper flow. Let the vehicle warm up, turn the engine off. Feel the fins (face) of the radiator. It should be the same temperature across the face. There shouldn't be any areas that feel cold or cooler.If there is the radiator need to cleaned.
The thermostat could be stuck closed, if it been in for a long time its best just to replace it. Raditor cap not holding proper pressure could cause the system to act up. You will need a pressure tester to check the cap.
If you have external leaks, this will cause the system to overheat.
Worst case is you have a blown head gasket. Check the oil for water/coolant and also check the radiator for oil in it.