PDA

View Full Version : 89 Ford Ranger clutch problems

ranger
07-31-2008, 03:13 PM
I have a 89 Ford Ranger 4+4 extended cab 2.9 liter stick shift. Well I just put a new rebuilt motor in and I have been having problems with the clutch and throw out bearing. Well I figured out that my throw out bearing was cracked when I took it out for the third time. But this time when I took it out I just pulled the slave cylinder out so I would not half to pull the whole trans out well I bleed the slave cylinder when I put it back in but for some reason I can't put the truck in gear now. I half to put it in gear before I crank it and it pulls in that gear and wont come out of gear util I cut it off. So I think that my clutch is sticking or stuck any ideas....
Randy Rushing....

admin
07-31-2008, 04:06 PM
ranger - The type of hydraulic system ford put on your truck is a real pain. If you didn't open the lines up the bearing may be sticking on the input shaft housing but thats rare. Usually all thats wrong is air in system and you need to keep bleeding it.

ranger
08-01-2008, 03:13 AM
So how many times do I need to bleed the system because I did it like five times...

admin
08-01-2008, 05:09 PM
Hi Randy,

Wow - sounds like you've bled it enough! But are there still air bubbles in the fluid? If so, you'll have to get that air out. Sometimes using a hand-held vacuum pump and bleed jar setup helps to bleed a stubborn hydraulic system.

Remove the rubber plug from the opening on the left side of the transmission bellhousing. Use a measuring tool to measure the travel of the slave cylinder when someone depresses the clutch pedal. If the throwout bearing moves less than 7.5 mm, there's something wrong in the hydraulic release system. If the bearing travels more than 7.5 mm, the problem lies in the pressure plate or clutch disc.

Hope this helps.