PDA

View Full Version : intermitten shut off

salciccioliantonio
06-05-2008, 05:03 PM
I have a 1989 Plymouth Acclaim with over 150,000 miles on it.It's been a very good and reliable car.We made several trips to Canada and back.I have been experiencing shudden shut-off when the car is on the road, or in the morning it will crank several times over till it starts.The enging is a 2.5 Liter I-4 enginge which is non-turbo.sometimes it will start right away with no problems,then the Tach will go to 0 and the engine will start.there are times when I'm the busy road or highway and the engine will stall,making it a very freightening situation.It got so bad that I burn out the Alternator and start geeting a negative charge.I had the car in the shop for over a week several times and the mechanic can't find anything wrong.A friend a mine, checked the Coil and found it to be below 12 Amps.He found it to be 11.4 to 11.7.I put in a new Coil but now it cranks,start then stall several times.Can you help me please?Thank you

admin
06-05-2008, 05:51 PM
Hi salciccioliantonio,

Your vehicle is covered in Haynes manual no. 30060. The ignition system checks are in Chapter 5. To properly diagnose the problem, you really need to get the book and perform those checks. Also, be sure to check for spark when the problem occurs to verify that it's an ignition problem and not a fuel system problem.

If you get the manual, perform the checks and still need help, you can contact one of our tech service reps at research@haynes.com and they might be able to give you some ideas. Just remember, there's really no way they can diagnose the problem from a remote location.