PDA

View Full Version : 99 cadillac deville timing question

Sjenkins
04-01-2008, 02:50 PM
I have the 38032 manual. We've finally tracked down the information missing about replacing the head gasket. Now I want to make sure I have the timing chain right, can you help me with a picture/ diagram, please? Other information for this would be great too. We have many haynes books and never had I seen "...because of the difficulty of this repair procedure ...it is recommended to have ..replaced by a dealer service department.." which is condesending. I'm sure the factory would like everybody to use their "professionals". Thank you for your help.

admin
04-01-2008, 04:52 PM
Sjenkins - Please contact our research department at 1-805-498-6703 and they can assist you with any extra details that you may need.

admin
04-01-2008, 04:59 PM
Hi Sjenkins,

Basically, the Cadillac factory service manual states that "Correct timing exists when the crank sprocket and the intermediate shaft sprocket have their timing marks aligned and all 4 camshaft drive pins are perpendicular (90 degrees) to the cylinder head surface." So, the mark on the crank sprocket must be at 12 o'clock, the mark on the intermediate shaft sprocket must be at 6 o'clock (directly across from the mark on the crank sprocket) and the drive pins on the camshafts are pointing straight up (90-degrees) from the mating surfaces of the heads. Additionally, the cam sprockets are marked LI (left intake) and LE (left exhaust) and RI (right intake) and RE (right exhaust), Left being the front cylinder bank and Right being the rear cylinder bank.

Hope this helps.

Sjenkins
04-01-2008, 08:11 PM
Thank you this is very helpful. SJ

admin
04-02-2008, 04:19 PM
Sjenkins - Glad we could help, good luck with the repair.