PDA

View Full Version : Question on steering rack replacement on 97 camry 4 cyl

Grendal
11-03-2013, 11:58 PM
greetings to all the cheery Haynes techs online. I have manual 92007 and am working on my 97 Camry 4 cylinder. I am going to replace my power steering rack in the next few weeks due to a small fluid leak at the bellows boot. I am confused about a specific repair step in your manual. u state to "mark the relationship of the intermediate shaft to the steering input shaft when u remove the pinch bolt." ok, if I mark the OLD rack, then when I install the NEW one, I wont have a mark reference to go by... so is this really necessary? also I have a steering wheel holder tool to lock the steering wheel from turning to prevent the intermediate shaft from turning while I install the new rack into the intermediate shaft assembly. because the rack input shaft has splines on it to match the intermediate shaft splines, I may have to turn the intermediate shaft assembly a little to line up the splines correctly. will this damage the spiral cable? any help u can offer I will be grateful for.

admin
11-05-2013, 08:41 PM
Hi Grendal,

Good question - you're on top of things!

Yes, the mark would only be good if you were installing the same steering gear. Use your tool to lock the steering wheel in the straight-ahead position. Before you install the new steering gear, make sure it is centered by rotating the input shaft all the way in one direction, then counting the number of turns to get it all the way in the other direction. Divide that number by two and turn the input shaft back that far and it'll be centered. Close enough to be a good starting point, anyway.

Grendal
11-14-2013, 06:54 PM
OMG thank so much!!!! that was extremely helpful!!!! u guys are gonna save me $500 in parts and labor with this repair, the dealer service advisor told me that the racks leak pretty frequently on these camry models but i'll be politely turning down their service because i'll be doing this one myself. thanks again for the tip, u guys are so cool :)

admin
11-14-2013, 08:05 PM
Great! Glad we could help. That's why we do this!