PDA

View Full Version : Mercury Mystique 2000 fuel filter replacement

cwhite_28
02-14-2008, 11:04 PM
Hi,

I tried to replace the fuel filter on my Mercury and started by following my Haynes manual.

The Manual discusses de-pressurising the fuel line by removing the pump fuse (F14) and then running the engine until it dies. I tried this but it ran for several minutes without signs of running out. How long should I expect to wait before the engines dies? Also is F14 the correct fuse to remove? (the haynes manual says it should be blue 15A but it was yellow 7.5A).

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated

admin
02-15-2008, 05:56 PM
Hi chwhite_28,

There's another way to disable the fuel pump. Remove the trim panel from the left side of the driver's footwell area to access the fuel cut-off switch, then unplug the electrical connector from the switch. You can see this switch in chapter 4, Section 13 of your manual (illustration 13.3). Then start the engine (or try to - it might just crank over). If it starts at all it should only run for a few moments. Then crank the engine over for a couple of seconds. At that point, the fuel pressure should be relieved.

As far as that fuse you pulled goes, it can't be the right one. Perhaps Ford changed things in the later years of the Contour/Mystique; without doing some research I can't be sure. But disconnecting the electrical connector from the cut-off switch will disable the fuel pump.

Hope this helps, and thanks for your interest in Haynes manuals

cwhite_28
02-17-2008, 06:21 PM
Hi,

Thanks for the idea of removing the fuel cut off switch - This worked a treat! Changed the filter without issue after that.

park
06-21-2009, 12:46 AM
Hi,

I'm trying to use this advice for my 2002 Mercury Cougar. (I'd buy a manual for that model, but there's no such animal.) I'm changing the fuel filter.

My Fuel Pump Cut-off Switch is located down a hole behind a kick-plate that I'm pretty sure I don't want to break. The kick-plate is also housing the hood lever and an electronic trunk button. Is there a correct way to access and unplug the Fuel Pump Cut-off Switch?

(Or another way to depressurize the fuel lines? I've heard about opening the gas tank and the depressurizing the line from the fuel pressure-release valve, but I haven't found 1 yet.)

Thanks,
Park

P.S. If anyone knows the type of fuel filter connectors that are on a 2002 Mercury Cougar, please let me know if I need a special tool for them. Thanks!